Here are ten tips to help you launch your blog into the blogosphere. Ready? Start the countdown!
10. Make sure your blog is fueled for the launch. Write and schedule at least five blog posts. Load the posts with lots of outbound links. Also, create any pages your blog will need, especially your “Welcome” or “About” page.
9. Make your blog easily accessible for repeat readers. Set up your RSS feed link and create and post your email subscription form. While you’ve got readers on your mind, come up with some free gifts to show them your appreciation of them. There are many ways to pass out the goodies. I use Freebie Friday promotions. See how other bloggers handle reader thank-yous and pick out the way that works best for you.
8. Build relationships within your niche. Invite other bloggers to guest post on your blog and request to guest post on theirs. Post valuable comments on other blogs. Don’t spam other blogs by broadcasting your new blog’s URL in their comment section. Simply include it when you fill out the comment form. When you interact with other bloggers, they will more than likely visit your site. Once you get to know them, you can offer to swap links.
7. Don’t overlook the easy stuff. Include your blog’s URL in every forum profile signature, your email signature, and your Facebook and Twitter profiles, etc. Make a fan page for your blog on Facebook. Put social media chicklets in your sidebar with links to your profiles & pages.
6. Don’t let the spammers foil your launch. Install and activate the Akismet plug-in before you launch into the blogosphere. Nothing looks more amateurish than a blog with a host of untended spam comments.
5. Let the web crawlers (spider bots) begin. Submit your site to the top update services. Copy the list provided by WordPress and paste it into your blog’s settings, located under the Writing tab.
4. If you haven’t already, install and activate the WordPress All-in-One SEO Pack plugin. Use the newly created fields (located in each post screen) to optimize your post’s title, description, and keywords.
3. Seed your best posts to Digg, Delicious, StumbleUpon, and other ranking sites. (You’ll need to submit every new blog post to these sites once it’s published. You may wish to add a “Social Bookmarks” plugin so your readers can also share your posts. There are several to choose from. Browse the “Add New” area under the Plugins menu in your Dashboard. Join Technorati and submit your blog. Add your blog to online blog directories, such as DMOZ.org, Google Blog Search, and any others you wish to submit to. (Hint: Do a search for “blog directories.” I don’t pay for directory submissions, but if you wish to do so, there are many “premium” directories out there.)
1. Blast off! Relax and have a latte. Congratulations upon your successful launch!