For those of you who haven’t yet started your blog, this post will give an overview of how easy it is to begin. If someone else set up your blog for you, this will teach you how to set up any future blogs you may wish to begin. Each step is simple, but to ensure everyone understands, we’ll continue this series with a follow-up post on each of the steps (except Step One, since we’ve already covered that).
- Pick a Topic — for more information about this topic, read Easy as 1-2-3.
- Choose a Blogging Platform — There are many to choose from. This blog uses WordPress, but on the next post, we’ll discuss the pros and cons of several different platforms and talk about whether to pay or not to pay for your blog.
- Registering Your Domain Name and Choosing a Hosting Service — Okay, so this is really two steps, but they can easily be combined into one post, so I stuck them together.
- Pick a Theme or Template for Your Blog — This is the fun part, but we’ll learn about things to look for in a theme besides its aesthetic value.
- Publishing Your First Post — If you’ve never blogged before, this post will explain step by step how to make that first post, including adding an image, creating categories, and using post tags.
- Publicize Your Blog — This will be an ongoing subject on this blog, but this post will give some basic tips to get you started off right with promoting your new (or existing) blog.