Whether or not you are blogging to make extra income or to spread a message you’re passionate about, you need readers. One of the most frequently asked questions I hear is “How do I get more people to read my blog?” My best answer is: Give them a reason to stop by. And by give, I mean give. As in offering a free gift.
This post will give you the steps involved to create and unveil a free report to offer your readers. You can use this gift in exchange for a reader’s email address using a list management system such as Aweber, if desired. Then you can continue to build the blogger-reader relationship via email newsletters.
If you are a marketing blogger, you can later offer products for sale to your newsletter list, but be considerate and use the (at least) 7 to 1 information to sales pitch ratio. That is, unless you want all your readers to click the unsubscribe link.
- Identify your niche audience.
- Research to discover some of their problems.
- Either through information you may already have (since this is your niche) or through further research, write a short report (maybe up to 10 or so pages) that answers one or more of their problems.
- Present this report in an attractive manner using a program such as Microsoft Publisher (converted into a .pdf using PDF Complete) or iWork’s Pages (for Mac, which is what I use).
- Create an attractive eBook cover for your report. (Note: There are many tutorials available to show you how to do this for free or cheap. If you’d like a more in-depth video training of eBook cover creation, you may wish to learn more about one of the products I’m an affiliate for: Make Your Own eBook Covers.)
- Either set up a lead capture page, such as the one I created for The Blogger’s Checklist, or simply create a custom sidebar widget to handle this task.
- Promote your free report on Facebook, Twitter, and YouTube.